Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?

From: Guillaume Rousse
Subject: Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:59:11 +0200

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
>
>>     I'm working on moving a project over to automake/libtool right now.
>> There's perl modules in some subdirectories with their own Makefile.PL's.
>>
>>     Is there already some m4 macros around that will let me build perl
>> modules from automake? Or any other projects doing the same thing I could
>> learn from? I could write my own macros or add raw makefile snippets
>> but if
>> a well rounded solution already out there, I'd rather use that.
>
> Interfacing between Automake and ExtUtils::MakeMaker is a bloody
> disaster.  They do not support the same paradigm or targets.
I second that.

First, MakeMaker doesn't follow FHS, but use the distinction between
site_perl and vendorl_perl to distinguish localy installed modules from
vendor provided one.

Second, MakeMaker notion of Prefix isn't the same as autotools, but
correspond to the perl installation prefix. And all additional files
locations won't be related to prefix, but to perl installation
characteristics: additional man pages, binaries and perl modules are
defined by this perl installation.

Whereas MakeMaker (and all other Perl module installation tools, such as
Module::Build, for instance) are perfectly suited for installing perl
modules, they are clearly inadapted for applications. On the other hand,
installing a complix application, including perl modules, with autotools
is a pain...