Re: mkinstalldirs buglet: gettext vs automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: mkinstalldirs buglet: gettext vs automake
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:46:40 +0200

Hi Axel,

* Axel Thimm wrote on Sat, May 27, 2006 at 08:18:06PM CEST:

> (e.g. a subfolder being i18n'zed, but not the top folder)
> automake/gettextize/autoreconf etc will create mkinstalldirs in "sub",
> but not "top". But ac_aux_dir will be set to "top" because that's
> where install-sh is being placed, and install-sh is the first scanned
> file for autodetermining ac_aux_dir.

> I'm not sure whether this is a gettextize bug, a bug in gettext b/c of
> still using mkinstalldirs, a bug in autoreconf for missing
> mkinstalldirs in the top dir, or a bug in autoconf for checking only
> for install-sh. My head is spinning as it is ;)

While I'm not sure either whether you have found a bug, nor in which of
above tools, there is a simple way to avoid it: specify the directory
for those auxiliary files.  Typical would be
  AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([build-aux])

early in configure.ac.  Then remove all copies of those auxiliary
scripts and invoke the tools again -- they should now all end up in
build-aux/.