Building a static library consisting of libraries

From: Norbert Sendetzky
Subject: Building a static library consisting of libraries
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:02:06 +0200

Hi all

I ran into a rather tricky problem, but let me explain a little bit more in
detail first:

I've created a library (opendbx, a unified database layer) which uses backend
libraries (like libmysqlbackend.so) to interface the native database library
(libmysqlclient.so).

Now I want to create a static libopendbx.a which contains the main library and
all backend libraries. The problem is that I have to compile the all objects
twice, once with libopendbx_la_LDFLAGS="-module -version 1:0:0" and a second
time with libopendbx_a_CPPFLAGS="-ODBX_STATIC" and binding them to a single
library fails.

Building the static libraries individually works but binding the libopendbx
object with the libXXXbackend.a libraries fails (nm tells me that the file
format for the backends is unknown). If I list the object files in
libopendbx_a_LIBADD instead, it works but it contains no dependency
information about the native libraries. So I've tried to build separate
static backend libraries (libXXXstatic.la) with dependency informations
instead, but linking fails also miserably ("ar cru" can only handle objects).

The big question now: Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks for any suggestions

Norbert
--
OpenPGP public key