Re: config.guess comments from our sysadmins

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: config.guess comments from our sysadmins
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:34:20 +0200

[ config.guess and config.sub ]

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:19:29PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > It's safe to just replace the two files with newer versions; I think you
> > should keep the two in sync though.
>
> OK. Should I replace them in every project and check them into the
> codebase?

If you keep generated files in your version control system, then yes,
I'd do that.  But only then.  I would generally recommend against this
strategy (there are arguments for and against it, see 'info Automake
CVS'; the fact that config.* are not generated does not alter the line
of thought much here).

> Or can I update the automake copies of the files

Yes, that is a good idea...

> so that all my autotools projects will take advantage of them when I
> do autoreconf -i?

...not quite, that won't install files over already-present ones.  You
need to use the --force argument for it to do so.