distdir unset in subdir Makefiles?

From: David Fang
Subject: distdir unset in subdir Makefiles?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:37:25 -0400 (EDT)

        I've noticed that the distdir variable in generated's
only appears in the top-level, however, it is not set in
subdirectories''s.  Is this intentional? According to the top, distdir and top_distdir are passed down recursively during a
"make distdir", set to $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION) and subdirs.
        In one instance, I wished to manually inspect the result of one of
the subdirectories' "make distdir", but had to pass in these two variables
by hand, slightly inconvenient.  Is there a rationale for omitting these
two variables in subdir's's?
        Thanks in advance.