Re: The automake/libtool way to make a dynamic lib from multiple sources

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: The automake/libtool way to make a dynamic lib from multiple sources
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 05:06:34 +0200

* Ryan McDougall wrote on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 04:51:41AM CEST:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 04:34 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> > The Libtool manual has more details about this (but it's arguably a bit
> > cryptic about convenience archives).  I'm not sure what you need to
> > know.
>
> Since Im leaning to this method, Id like to investigate just what sort
> of inefficiencies Im going to incur this way.

You will have the overhead of one additional archiving step (ar +
ranlib) and, on systems where one cannot pass whole archives to the
linker to put in shared libraries (e.g., -Wl,--whole-archive with GNU
ld), libtool will also extract that convenience archive one by one
again.

> Basically I don't know a whole lot about the details of dynamic
> linking, so Id like to learn whats happening, if possible/reasonable.

Hmm.  Not sure what to recommend here.  You can read the Libtool manual,
after reading this nice (if not a bit old) book:
http://www.iecc.com/linker/

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual#Building-modules