adding .asm files into your own .la fails

From: Christian Parpart
Subject: adding .asm files into your own .la fails
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:39:44 +0100

Hi all,

I'd like to speed up some functions via assembler based replacements, however,
automake/libtool doesn't seem to want my .asm.
it simply ignores it.

The FAQ of yasm seem to have a solution on how to use .asm files in
Makefile.am's but it doesn't really work - at least for my library.

http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm/wiki/Faq (Q11)

ARCH_GENERIC = $(top_srcdir)/src/arch-generic

SUFFIXES = .asm
AS = yasm
ASFLAGS = -f elf

.asm.o:
    $(AS) $(ASFLAGS) $(AM_ASFLAGS) $<

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libCapseoAccel.la

libCapseoAccel_la_SOURCES = \
    bgra2yuv420.asm \
    $(ARCH_GENERIC)/encode.cpp \
    $(ARCH_GENERIC)/decode.cpp

`make` doensn't pick up bgra2yuv420.asm for compilation, however, I can `make
bgra2yuv420.o` it myself, but this won't stop libtool from including it into
the library.

If that's the wrong way to go, what should I do then?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.