Overwriting targets.

From: Brendon Costa
Subject: Overwriting targets.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:34:21 +1000

Hi all,

I have a project using autotools that also has "sub-projects".
http://edoc.sourceforge.net/

Basically this project requires patched versions of the GCC and
doxygen projects. To make life easy for the person compiling from
sources i get my configure script to unpack the sources for these
projects, apply patches and then configure those sources in such a way
that invoking make and make install on my project will also build and
install those two patched projects.

Unfortunately i have been unable to use the standard AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
macro in autoconf mostly due to the differences in the configure
parameters of the three projects and other issues that arise from
doxygen not using automake for its build.

I have most of it working, but when i invoke certain targets one
example is the distclean target, i want to stop distclean being called
recursively into the sub-projects directories.

I.e. I have:

$srcdir/Makefile.am
$srcdir/src/Makefile.am
$srcdir/patched/Makefile.am

and in the buildir i configure gcc and doxygen into subdirs of:
$builddir/patched/...

$buildir/patched/gcc-4.0.1/Makefile
$buildir/patched/doxygen-1.5.1/Makefile

When i do a make distclean i want to perform the distclean as normal
for all directories EXCEPT when descending into $builddir/patched

When distclean is recursively invoked in the patched subdir, i want to
perform a rm -r gcc-4.0.1 doxygen-1.5.1

and then ensure that the distclean does NOT recursively propagate into
the subdirs: gcc-4.0.1 and doxygen-1.5.1

How would I go about doing this with automake?

Thanks,
Brendon.