Re: %-style pattern rules

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: %-style pattern rules
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:32:01 +0200

Hello Lorenzo,

* Lorenzo Bettini wrote on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 05:18:48PM CEST:

> and what if I need two files (with two different extensions) depend on a
> single file?

That is not possible portably, i.e., with inference rules.  So either
you can just choose to rely on GNU make, or write one rule per instance.

> how would I transform this rule?
>
> %.c %.h: %.ggo
>
> Moreover, this rule has also the problem of not working with parallel makes
> (e.g., make -j2)

Multiple output files are described in this chapter of the manual:
<http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Multiple-Outputs>

Except there were some bugs in the chapter that have only been corrected
in CVS after 1.10 was released, so be sure to look here as well:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.bugs/3806/focus=2722>

Hope that helps.