Re: What to check into repository?

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: What to check into repository?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:56:14 +0200

On Dec 4, 2007 3:35 PM, Hongliang Wang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you for this piece of advice and I am dropping autogen.sh from
> repository now,
> but compiling still fails.
>
> address@hidden> autoreconf
> Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
> Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
> Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
> Makefile.am: required file `./COPYING' not found
> autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
> AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = gnu

By saying "gnu" you're telling automake that your project needs to
have NEWS, AUTHORS, ChangeLog, and COPYING (which you don't have), and
thus it rightly complains.  Perhaps you could change this to

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign

or in configure.ac:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(foreign)

But if you do think you should have those files, by all means go ahead
and create them (and check them into the repository).