Re: Questions on 'make dist'

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Questions on 'make dist'
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:16:15 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:55:55PM -0400, NightStrike wrote:
> > mingw-w64/crt
> > mingw-w64/doc
> > mingw-w64/hdr
> So I guess the choices boil down to:
>
> 1) Change the directory structure
> 2) Recursive make to a small degree
>
> Is that about right?

actually, I recommend recursive make to a small degree in any case.

Even if you modify the tree as quoted above, you has to prefix
everything in the real build with "crt/", which is hardly convenient.
So you would have to additionally move the contents of crt/ to the
top level directory, to get only one Makefile.

If you modify the structure, you might get away with only two
makefiles: the top level (which would also handle doc and hdr) and
crt/Makefile.  (And perhaps a third one for the AM_CFLAGS trick from
the other thread.)

But I guess it might be more convenient for you to keep the directory
structure as it is and having:

Makefile
mingw-w64-crt/Makefile
mingw-w64-doc/Makefile
mingw-w64-headers/Makefile

Returning back to the article "Recursive make considered harmful",
the worst thing is something like lib/Makefile and src/Makefile,
where the C code from lib/ and src/ forms the main program.

Having a separate doc/Makefile is obviously much less harmful.

Stepan