Re: howto place object files in dir other than source dir

From: Alan D. Salewski
Subject: Re: howto place object files in dir other than source dir
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:30:23 -0400

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 07:21:26PM -0700, eawiggins spake thus:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to put my object files into a separate
> directory so that they aren't mixed in w/ my cpp source files, and still be
> able to link and build.
>
> I've got a basic autoconf, automake, libtool configuration working, but
> haven't found anything to help me w/ this question,
>
> Thanks,

I think you just want to do a "VPATH build". One common way of doing
this is invoking your 'configure' script from a peer directory of your
top-level source tree.

    $ pwd
    .../project-foo
    $ cd .. && mkdir project-foo-BUILD && cd project-foo-BUILD
    $ pwd
    .../project-foo-BUILD
    $
    $ ../project-foo/configure ... && make