pre and post install targets

From: Jose-Marcio
Subject: pre and post install targets
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:20:29 +0200

Hello,

Is there a way to define pre and post install actions ?

My problem is :

I have an application which is a daemon which uses some flavor
of databases (BerkeleyDB, in fact).

When installing a new version of the application, I'd like to be
able to stop the daemon, eventually dump databases, make install,
recreate databases (if database format changed), and relaunch
the daemon.

Currently, I've defined a new target (upgrade) which depends
on :

upgrade : preinstall install postinstall

Is there a more elegant way to do this ?

Thanks

Jose-Marcio