Re: best practice advice, use of a custom local-clean target

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: best practice advice, use of a custom local-clean target
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:56:15 +0200

Hi Noah,

* Noah Slater wrote on Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:19:46PM CEST:
>  * Why do I need to create my own target to clean up the Makefile.in files and
>    other sundry left overs?

Because the functionality is notoriously difficult to implement nicely
in autotools itself, so that it works under all circumstances.  Benoit
worked on it last year, we've never finished it.

> Should Automake not ideally clean this up for me?

Yes, I guess it should.

>  * Should I be using $(top_srcdir) in those rules or is it safe to assume that
>    the target is being run from the top source directory?

You should be using $(top_srcdir).  Better even if you
  cd "$(top_srcdir)" && find . -name ...

because that way you run into command line length issues later.

HTH. Cheers,