Re: Warn: non-POSIX variable name

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Warn: non-POSIX variable name
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:42:00 +0200

* Peter Johansson wrote on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 05:23:10AM CEST:
> Steven Woody wrote:
>> 2. What's the difference between @varname@ and $(varname) in a
>> Makefile.am? I noted you use many @xxxx@
>>
> I think the difference is that for example @builddir@ is substituted to
> '.' when the Makefile is created from Makefile.in, so for instance:
[...]

Correct.

> but since $(builddir) is set to `.', I dont think it matters if having
> @xxx@ or $(xxx) in this case.

It doesn't matter for the contents of this rule, as 'make' sees it.
However, in general, @substitutions@ cannot be interpreted by automake,
while $(macros) typically can.  Most of the time you want automake to
see as much of it as possible, so as a guide line, prefer $(macros) in
Makefile.am.