Re: [automake] Dependency question with _LDADD

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: [automake] Dependency question with _LDADD
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:25:06 -0400

Michel Briand wrote:
Sorry for the confusion ! Its my fault

I would not have chosen "VERSION" for my variable in Makefile.am since
it duplicates one predefined variable (configure).

I should have named it "MY_VERSION", or better
"TRAINING_PROGRAM_VERSION"....

The variable is dynamic. Make will read the file every time.

---
# Main program: training
# Uses libtraining in ../lib

PV=${top_srcdir}/PROGRAM_VERSION
export

templ=${top_srcdir}/doc/template/version.c.in
component=training_program
TRAINING_PROGRAM_VERSION=`cat $$PV`

internal_version.c: $(PV)
    ${top_srcdir}/vtempl $(component) \
    $(TRAINING_PROGRAM_VERSION) < $(templ) > $@

LIBTRAINING_DIR=../lib
AM_CPPFLAGS = -I$(LIBTRAINING_DIR)

bin_PROGRAMS = training
training_SOURCES = training.c internal_version.c
training_LDADD = ../lib/libtraining.la

---

I don't really need to depend on vtempl.sh since, if this script
respect its basic semantic, we don't mind the implementation changes.
That is a big IF. If someone did change the semantics, committed to the repository, that lacking of dependency will be a pain for other developers.

The internal_version.c file does contains only the program's version :
If you don't change the template file, having the dependency doesn't hurt. OTOH if you do change the dependency, you really really wanna have that dependency...
I don't see the need for a dependency on Makefile.am, neither. But you
maybe have something in mind ?
Well maybe you don't need it. I usually add that, in case I change something in the build I know I will not miss something. But that is a matter of taste, I guess, how safe you wanna be...

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers,
Michel