Handling of Makefile variables

From: LCID Fire
Subject: Handling of Makefile variables
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:41:01 +0100

On my app I'm currently trying to switch from one big Makefile to
multiple ones. So I have in the root directory a Makefile.am and some in
directories underneath. The thing I noticed is: Even though I set
AM_CFLAGS in the root Makefile.am these options are not used in the ones
underneath. Could someone shed some light on how the different
Makefile.ams are interacting with eachother when recursed in via SUBDIRS
variable? I take it that variables are not at all global!?