pre- and post-compilation hooks

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: pre- and post-compilation hooks
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:37:58 +0100

I'd like to migrate a SNiFF+ project to automake. So far, it looks quite
promising. Two issues:

1. The compilation rule performs some custom pre-processing before
   actually calling the compiler; if pre-processing fails, the compiler
   is not called, and make is stopped.

2. The Tasking C166/ST10 compiler doesn't support generating
   dependencies, so I'd like to call gcc to do that if the compilation
   was successful.

How can I do that with automake?

I could only think about writing a wrapper around the compiler, but I'm
wondering whether there is a better solution.

Thanks in advance,
Baurzhan Ismagulov