A lot of help needed with the automake process

From: Andrew M.
Subject: A lot of help needed with the automake process
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:26:07 +0100 (CET)

Hi all.
I recently coded a small GNOME applet and before sharing it with a few
friends I wanted to make it "noob-proof" :)

Basically I wanted to create the usual "configure" and Makefile scripts so
that I can give my buddies the 3 simple commands to install the applet.
After reading several (at least 5) different online tutorials, I'm afraid
I can't figure out how to create those scripts.
This is the current situation:

* There is only one source file (myapplet.c) in /src
* I have two folders, /pixmaps e /conf, that contain some graphics for the
applet and the initial configuration file
* In the folder root I also have the .server file needed by Bonobo

and this is what I want to accomplish:

* The compiled binary has to end up in /usr/lib/gnome-applets/
* The graphics (icons and a logo) have to be copied in
/usr/share/pixmaps/myapplet
* The configuration file has to be copied in ~/.myapplet/myapplet.conf *
The .server file has to be copied in in /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/

The configure script should also check for dependencies such as gtk+,
glibc and libxml2.

I know it's quite the task but is there somebody willing to walk me
through the whole process to create the install scripts?
I now feel I am the real "noob" :(
Thank you,

Andrew M.