Passing an "include" directive to Makefile.in

From: Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
Subject: Passing an "include" directive to Makefile.in
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:17:48 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to pass an "include <file>" directive to Makefile.in without
having it interpreted by Automake.

What I'm trying to do is to update a Makefile variable based on
git-describe to provide a dynamic version string (in a very similar way
to how Git is doing in their own repository). It works nicely on GNU
Make with "-include" and "sinclude" because Automake doesn't interpret
it, but if I use "include" instead it will run Automake on every compile
(and we need to support non-GNU make programs).

Is it possible to have some lines in Makefile.am included verbatim in
Makefile.in, or any other way to define includes?

Thanks,

--
Thomas