Re: git branch strategy after 1.11

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: git branch strategy after 1.11
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:48:42 +0100

Hi Jan,

* Jan Engelhardt wrote on Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:56:08AM CET:
> On Sunday 2009-03-22 12:23, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >just to let you know, after 1.11 I intend to change the branch setup a
> >bit.  When branch-1-11 is created, I will also create a branch maint,
> >which will then receive bug fixes appropriate for both 1.11.x and 1.11a.
> >The maint branch will then be merged regularly (most likely after every
> >commit or set of commits) into both branch-1-11 and master.
>
> Perhaps use a dot? e.g. "branch-1.11".

That would depart from the current naming scheme, but yes, I guess that
is in the line with changing the tag naming scheme to v1.10.2 etc.

> And: once branch-1.11 development finally ceases, it can be deleted.
> This works because the commits remain reachable via the release tags.
> If necessary, the branch pointer can simply be recreated.

What would be the advantage of deleting a release branch?

What I had in mind was keeping the release branches as we do now,
and pushing the occasional bugfix there that distributors are likely
to pick up, rather than each roll their own, slightly incompatible one.

OTOH, with temporary feature branches like je-silent or ad-parallel-tests
it seems useful to delete them sometime after they have been completely
merged into master, and we don't expect further bug fixes in the area.

Thanks,