Re: DESTDIR vs `make install exec_prefix='

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: DESTDIR vs `make install exec_prefix='
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:36:15 -0700

Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

> I know that GNU coding standards really want package developers to allow
> one to be able to override the prefix at "make install" time and "it
> should just work".  While I appreciate the goal and sentiment, sometimes
> that just isn't easy or feasible to do.

I disagree.  It's worked relatively well for years and with some caution
will continue to work fine for nearly all packages on modern OSes.  It
poses a few problems for libtool on particular architectures with weird
linking and shared library search issues, but those architectures are
becoming increasingly less common.

Thankfully, I just misunderstood the footnote entirely and nothing about
this change will affect that continued position.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>