Re: Automatic debug symbol generation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automatic debug symbol generation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:11:24 +0200

Hello Jason,

* JRS wrote on Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 05:57:53PM CEST:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:01:20PM -0700, Jason Spence wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 07:33:47AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > > Just get the git tree here:
> > >
> > >   git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/automake.git
> > >   cd automake
> > >   ./bootstrap

> Hmm.  Automake from the tree needs autoconf from the tree.

Autoconf 2.62 or newer should be sufficient for git master of Automake.
Anything else would be a bug I'd be very interested to learn about.

>  I set it
> up and installed it with --prefix=$HOME and I have $HOME/bin prepended
> to my path, but automake's configure doesn't want to recognize that
> fact.

Weird.  Can you show the output from configure, as well as the
respective bits in config.log that show the failure?

> Is there a recipe for building the whole autotools suite from
> the source tree?

It really should work that way.  Actually, were it not for messed-up
time stamps, then the bootstrap step wouldn't even be necessary for the
Automake tree.