Effects of some references to other libraries in a shared library

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Effects of some references to other libraries in a shared library
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 17:32:39 -0400

In a shared library there are about 8 routines out over 100 that refer to
libgsl and libpthread.  A frequent situation may arise where an application
program has no need for using the 8 procedures infected with other library
needs.

At the current time, when I try to link such a program I get a failure unless
I add all the references to the additional libraries---even though they are
not employed by the program in any manner.

Is there any reasonable way around this or do I have to either separate the 8
routines into another library or add the references to libgsl (+*blas) and
pthread to Makefiles of programs that have no involvement with these library
procedures?

Am I missing a trick?

Thanks for the help.