Re: Setting shared lib version not functioning

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Setting shared lib version not functioning
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 07:08:40 +0200

Hello Gerald,

* Gerald I. Evenden wrote on Thu, May 07, 2009 at 02:58:28AM CEST:
> Well, everything compiled and looked OK when installed in /usr/local/lib
>
> libproject.a
> libproject.la
> libproject.so
> libproject.so.0
> libproject.so.0.0.0
>
> BUT!! Now when I try to recompile any application and execute I get the happy
> message:
>
> ./geodesic: error while loading shared libraries: libproject.so.0: cannot

Can you show the link commands used for the recompilation?
Can you also show the output of "make install" for libproject?

> It did work before and /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Hmm.  Does it work after you run ldconfig once as root?
What system does this happen on (Linux?), and which distribution?

> Oh yes, in using applications, the HAVE_MALLOC gets turned off in config.h and
>
> #define malloc rpl_malloc
>
> gets inserted which the linker can't find---I edited out the config.h so I
> could get an executable.  ---- but that is a different problem --- I
> think(?).

That is a different issue.  Presumably you used AC_FUNC_MALLOC but did
not provide a replacement malloc.c; see
  info Autoconf --index-search AC_FUNC_MALLOC

for what to do if you really want that.