Re: -I. in DEFAULT_INCLUDES

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: -I. in DEFAULT_INCLUDES
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:34:23 -0600

Hi Bob,

On 7/6/2009 5:24 AM, Bob Ham wrote:
Hi there,

I have a problem due to conflicts between local and system header
filenames.  This problem comes about because of the addition of -I. to
the CXXFLAGS of any objects.  I've traced this to a variable called
DEFAULT_INCLUDES in every Makefile.in:

   DEFAULT_INCLUDES = address@hidden@ -I$(top_builddir)

Why does this -I. exist?  How can I remove it?

DEFAULT_INCLUDES actually resolves to:

DEFAULT_INCLUDES = -I. -I$(srcdir) -I$(top_builddir)

That is, the current directory, the source directory (if building outside the source tree), and the top build directory (in order to pick up config.h or other project-global headers.

It is assumed that there would be no header files in the current or source directory that are not *more* important (and should thus be picked up first) than any other header files outside the project.

Just curious - under what conditions do you have a header file in the local directory that you need to have overridden by a globally installed header file?

Regards,
John