Re: Integration of git-based release workflow into "make dist"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Integration of git-based release workflow into "make dist"
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:13:47 +0200

Hello,

* Peter Johansson wrote on Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:48:44PM CEST:
> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> >I have not verified if referencing a file outside of the source
> >tree really works properly.
> >
> My experience is that inclusion of an external file will be ignored
> by Automake, in other words, the include statement ends up in the
> Makefile. It might still work locally, but quite an ugly
> Makefile(.in) to distribute.

In the Makefile.am,
  include $(srcdir)/fragment.am

or
  include $(top_srcdir)/fragment.am

will have the same effect as if the text in the fragment.am file is
copied verbatim into the Makefile.am file.  IOW, automake-special
variables are handled etc.  In addition to this, the fragment.am file
is made a prerequisite of the Makefile.in file, so that an update will
trigger a rerun of automake (except in disabled maintainer-mode of
course).

If you have experienced different, then please report a bug to the
bug-automake list with a small reproducible example.

Thanks,