Re: shell variables in configure.ac

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: shell variables in configure.ac
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:14:04 +0100

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:24:29AM CET:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Martin Kalbfuß wrote:
> >
> >When I have a look at the config.h I see only empty defines like
> >
> >#define SKMajor
> >
> >What's wrong here?
>
> Shell lines prior to AC_INIT are ignored.  This is definitely an
> annoyance.

You can either use M4 macros
  m4_define([SKMAJOR], [42])

or initialize the variables after AC_INIT.  It's out of necessity that
shell lines prior to AC_INIT are ignored: the sanitize shell startup
code to put some of the shells in a sane mode of operation needs to come
early in the script.

This is an Autoconf issue, by the way.