Re: How to use install-data-local conditionally with automake-1.6.3

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: How to use install-data-local conditionally with automake-1.6.3
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:15:57 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree that it's awkward.

autoconf & automake are the best and most powerful build tools I know.
It's not too easy to learn but luckily there is free support on
mailinglists :-)

> A simple way to avoid the warning is to do the install-data-local rule
> addition unconditionally and declare the feature rules in both
> conditions:
> # these rules could be in some include `featureinst.mak':
> install-data-local: myinstfeature
> myinstfeature:
>        touch $(DESTDIR)$(prefix)/feature
> else
> myinstfeature:
> endif

ohh that easy it is?
For some reason I never had this idea... mmm...

Thanks a lot!

> I've only tested that with current Automake now, though, but I think it
> should work with older.

I tested with 1.6.3 and found it working :)

> BTW, you should really update to a newer Automake version.

I'm afraid that this won't be that easy:
./automake-1.11.1 # ./configure
Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at -e line 1.
configure: error: perl 5.6 or better is required; perl 5.8.2 or better
is recommended.

well and I'm afraid our could not work with recent
automake versions because we used invalid constructions (because
of not knowing it better or obsolete but still active
automake-1.4 workarounds). At least we have issues with recent
autoconfs (I mean, the issues are with our scripts of course but
now get spotted).

Ohh, and automake-1.6.3 is much faster that 1.11, right? :-)

> We've recently fixed a security-related issue in the 'dist' and
> 'distcheck' rules, that is present in all older Automake versions.

ohh yes, this is a nasty one...
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.