Re: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them

From: Michael Perzl
Subject: Re: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:01:24 +0100

Hi Daniel,

On 01/29/2010 11:46 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
Daniel Pocock wrote:

I've looked at the manual for -brtl and it tells me that the flag is needed for building targets that depend on other shared objects.

The gmond executable itself loads various other modules (shared objects) using dlopen(), and gmond also depends on system libraries. The modules themselves depend on some other shared libraries in the system. Therefore, I think -brtl is needed for everything we build and could potentially be added to LDFLAGS for AIX in configure.in

One definitely needs on AIX for anything that uses dynamic loading of objects the "-Wl,-brtl" flag but the "-Wl,-brtl" flag is already brought in by apr and therefore should not be specified on a system-wide level on AIX as it would require that all libraries are available for run-time-linking on AIX which they aren't.

The "problem" that I see is why the libcpu.a and other "*.a" files (= gmond modules) are not being installed in <LIBDIR>/ganglia. Even if they were copied only as "lib*.a" files the required "*.so" files could easily be generated like this - this is what I actually do for my RPMs in the spec-file:

cd %{_libdir}/ganglia
for f in *.a ; do
    ar x ${f}
done
rm -f *.a *.la

I know this is not pretty but it works :-)

Regards,
Michael