Re: Building prog first

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: Building prog first
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:51:47 +0100

* On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > noinst_PROGRAMS = unimain
> > unimain_SOURCES = unimain.c
> >
> > unimain$(EXEEXT) /usr/share/unicode/UnicodeData.txt
> >       ./unimain$(EXEEXT) $< > $@
> BTW, execution of built programs like this makes your package unsuitable
> for cross-compilation.  Just so you're aware of that.

Assuming is a C-code table containing the
information from UnicodeData.txt, I think it could be better to
generate it by some shell code (maybe inside the,
saving a tool) or to use perl (for the price of adding perl to
the build dependencies) or, if UnicodeData rarely changes, add to the package and have some `maintainer only'
helper target to build it (with as distributed
source file). People who don't care about can build
the package even without UnicodeData.txt (if this makes any
sense, I don't know what this is for of course :))