Re: Minimal example for perl program

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Minimal example for perl program
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:31:26 +0200

* Russ Allbery wrote on Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:23:41AM CEST:
> Ole Tange writes:
> > Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> >> I wish automake could warn about leading whitespace damage;
> >> unfortunately, the parser would need to be quite a bit smarter
> >> for such a warning to work reliably.
>
> > Could it be extended so you could start the line with either <TAB> or
> > <DOT><WHITESPACE>? Or would that break too much backwards
> > compatability?
>
> It breaks the basic assumption that Makefile.am is basically a makefile.
> I suppose that Automake could try to transform the whitespace as part of
> its processing, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

No, I don't like that either.

However, there is a POSIX make-blessed alternative in that you can use:
  target... : prereq... ; command...

instead of:
  target... : prereq...<newline>
  <tab>command...

throughout; that is portable to all make implementations I know of.
I'm not aware of automake bugs with the former spelling, but it's not
used very much I guess; if you encounter one, please report it.

Thanks,