Re: Why no dependency tracking with preprocessed Fortran?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Why no dependency tracking with preprocessed Fortran?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:00:14 +0200

Hello Jeff,

* Daily, Jeff A wrote on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:36:54PM CEST:
> Why doesn't automake have dependency tracking for preprocessed Fortran?

Because nobody has implemented it yet.

> Wouldn't the following work?  Note that there is a space before
> include so that automake doesn't process it, but rather it appears
> verbatim in the generated Makefile.in.

Well, I guess dependency tracking could be implemented similarly to how
it is done for C and C++.  Using makedepend could be a start, sure, but
testing for a depmode would be better; e.g., some gfortran versions
support the much nicer gcc3 depmode.

Actually, I'd consider module dependency tracking support a very
interesting Fortran feature for Automake as well.