call for help/crazy idea: nmake support

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:26:47 +0200

Here's a crazy idea: how about if automake optionally output an input
file suitable for nmake (after configure substitution)?
Is that even feasible?  (I'd guess so)
Maybe if we have contents conditional on 'make' or 'nmake' output?
Would that even help anybody?  (no idea)
Is there anybody willing to work on this?
Should I prepare a Summer of Code/other code sprint project proposal[1]?
Or is a better alternative to follow the path we have taken with Libtool
(finally getting MSVC support in) also in Automake, with Peter's patches
and more?

Thanks to Edward Hervey for discussion about this subject (kudos and Cc:
go to him, flames about the idea to me, please).

Cheers, and thanks for any feedback,
Ralf

[1] yeah, I know the timing is suboptimal