confused about libtool and LIBADD

From: Martin Kalbfuss
Subject: confused about libtool and LIBADD
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:08:36 +0200

Hi, I try to use libtool for my project, It runs fine as long as libSDL
is added as dependency to the program directly. But I thought, I could
add a library as dependency of a library. But it isn't working.

my wrapping library is libsk.la which depends on libSDL.la which is in
my path.

If I do mylib_la_LIBADD = libSDL.la

It says,

make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/martin/Desktop/sk/schwarzerkaffee/src'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `libSDL.la', needed by `libsk.la'.
Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/martin/Desktop/sk/schwarzerkaffee/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

If I add mylib_la_LIBADD -lSDL or @SDL_LIBS@

the library compiles. But the program using it does not.

my Makefile.am for the program looks like the following:

M2CFLAGS = -fiso \
        -fsoft-check-all \
        -fcpp \
        -Wpedantic \
        -Wpedantic-cast \
        -Wpedantic-param-names

EXTRA_DIST = timer_callback.mod version.mod dragon.bmp

all-local: timer_callback version

timer_callback:
        libtool --tag=CC --mode=link $(GM2) -fmakeall $(M2CFLAGS) -o $@
timer_callback.mod
-I../include/SK ../src/libsk.la ../src/libsk_unshareable.la

version:
        libtool --tag=CC --mode=link $(GM2) -fmakeall $(M2CFLAGS) -o $@
version.mod -I../include/SK ../src/libsk.la ../src/libsk_unshareable.la

clean-local:
        -rm timer_callback version *.o

.PHONY : timer_callback version

Thanks,