automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:26:36 -0500

Our project, which is admittedly built on older versions of the
autotools seems to be exhibiting some issues when I try to use it with
automake 1.11.

I have not doubt that this is due to our particular implementation just
not being up to snuff with automake 1.11.  I'm just not sure where/why
though.

The error I can automake, autoconf, etc. and get a valid working
configuration that I can issue make in and all works.  At some point
however "make clean" starts failing with:

CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/bash
/home/brian/lustre-release/BUILD/lustre-2.0.59/missing --run aclocal-1.11
 cd . && /bin/bash /home/brian/lustre-release/BUILD/lustre-2.0.59/missing --run
automake-1.11 --foreign
automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

Now, there is indeed no Makefile.am in the root of our project.  There
is a Makefile.in and Makefile though which are maintained for linux
external module building as such:

        subdir-m += @LIBCFS_SUBDIR@ lnet
        subdir-m += lustre
        subdir-m += lustre-iokit

        @INCLUDE_RULES@

What we do have for automake throughout our project however is
autoMakefile.am files which should (and do currently) get processed into
autoMakefile.in and then autoconf'd into autoMakefiles.

The "@INCLUDE_RULES@" subst in our Makefile.in draws in some rules which
in turn incorporate the autoMakefiles.

So my question is, what kinds of misconfiguration of our configure.ac
file would cause the error message:

automake-1.11: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

In our situation where we don't have a Makefile.am?

Cheers,
b.