Automake GSoC idea

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Automake GSoC idea
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 02:06:45 -0500 (EST)

Refactor Automake so it can easily be extended for new file types.

Examples:
- Qt preprocessed files (e.g. moc and linguist generate sources to link)
- IDL files (may generate headers and several sources to link)
- NVidia's CUDA

Automake has many rules baked in; there is no clear extension mechanism. The above examples can be handled by a collusion of AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS, sed, makefile includes, and recursive make invocations; but its not pretty.

Autoconf provides an extension framework via m4. Automake needs something similar. This would probably be an API for looking at declared source lists, outputting makefile snippets, reusing dependency-generation templates, etc. A process for automake to output templates to be expanded by configure and later included would also be nice.

Later,
Daniel

P.S. I'm employed, but not with enough free time to mentor this. I could help by providing case studies of tasks that aren't easy with automake.