Re: libtool relink problem

From: emmanuel
Subject: Re: libtool relink problem
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:42:56 +0200

From: Pippijn van Steenhoven<address@hidden>
Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM
To: address@hidden

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 03:40:06PM +0530, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
Hi,
I am facing a problem with libtool. While installing it complains a
relink  required and while doing so it tries to link against the
shared library instead of static library.
Well, the problem is better explained in this thread
http://sourceware.org/ml/automake/2004-07/msg00127.html with example
code.

I am facing exactly the same problem.

I saw a similar problem in this thread also

Is there a solution available for this?

Thanks
Santhosh

Hi Santhosh,

I suggest writing your *_LTLIBRARIES with a comment in front, perhaps with #> to differ between disabled and enabled libraries. Then using
grep(1) to extract the names and the same tools to extract the
dependencies. You can then use tsort(1) to topologically sort the
libraries and write the actual ${dir}_LTLIBRARIES to an included .am file. Semantically, this is what I do. In reality, I wrote a preprocessor for automake that does this, but I don't suggest using it, as it's beta
and very much tailored to my needs.
Hi Pippijn

Thank you for taking time and trying to help us... because we really get
stucked.

I tried to understand your answer but I honestly think I'm not good
enough with automake to be able to understand and apply your
methodology. I also doubt that the other cases given by Santhosh are the
same as our, although the symptom is.

From my understanding the previously described issues occur if the
dependences are not compiled in the right order. I think this is not our problem because at the moment the error occurs, I know the dependence is
already compiled.

The issue occurs if the dependencies are not _installed_ in the right
order.

So, I'm sure the file $(top_builddir)/src/ctpp2/src/libctpp2.la exists.

As you noted, the dependency has been compiled and linked, but for
installation, it has to be relinked:

libtool: relink: g++ -shared -nostdlib
           ^^^^^^

The above occurs in make install.

So my question is why automake replaces the path with libcttp2.la in
-lctpp2, replacing a static linking with a dynamic one?

It's related to rpath linking. The resulting binaries are relinked to
include $(libdir) as rpath, so that installed binaries can be called and
libraries loaded without listing $(libdir) in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
ld.so.conf.

It looks like you are using a recursive make, in your project. Are you
sure that libcttp2.la exists in $(libdir)? As an experiment, try make
install in libctpp2's $(builddir) and then make install in
$(top_builddir).

So problem was fixed by using the "noinst" prefix for the ctpp2 code. If I correctly have understood the autotools behaviour it seems that if you don't use "noinst" prefix, the autotools install the libraries. In our case this does not make sense as the *.la files are only linked one time during the software compilation and not used afterwards (for example from thirds projects).

Thx you again Pippijn vor your help, without your answer I wouldn't have discover that the static lib were installed.

Regards
Emmanuel