Re: [RFC] Releasing automake 1.11.2

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [RFC] Releasing automake 1.11.2
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:30:15 +0200

Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> Hello automakers.
>
> I think it's about time to release automake 1.11.2 -- the `maint'
> branch contains various bug fixes w.r.t. the 1.11.1 release (some
> of them quite important), and offers some new small features and
> various warnings/deprecations that should prepare the users for the
> backward-incompatible changes planned for automake 1.12 (so, the
> more 1.11.2 precedes 1.12, the more these warnings will have a
> chance to be effective).

Hi Stefano,

I agree that this is a good time to make a new release.

> Ralf, Jim, could we agree on a timeline/plan of sort for the release
> of automake 1.11.2?  I've never done nor witnessed "as an insider"
> an automake release, so I'd rather leave someone else take the lead
> on this; but I'll try to contribute and learn as much as I can of
> course ;-)

"I'd rather..." ;-)
But this seems like the perfect time to start.

I suggest that you start off by generating a GPG key (of type RSA, not
DSA, and at least 2048 bits long), and upload it to your Savannah
profile, and eventually to public key servers.

[If you're new to GPG, please learn about key security practices,
 before you generate the key you end up using.  Most "How to generate
 a GPG key" references I found are outdated, but this one looks good:
     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Creating_GPG_Keys
 ]

Then you'll want to register your GPG key for upload of automake
tarballs, per the instructions in the maintainers guide:

  https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Automated-Upload-Registration.html