Re: Automake 1.11.2 released

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Automake 1.11.2 released
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:04:42 +0100

On 12/23/2011 05:04 PM, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi Antonio.

> Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>> We are pleased to announce the Automake 1.11.2 maintenance release.
>
> Three years and three stable releases have passed since a patch (by Jan
> Engelhardt)
> adding dist-lzip support to Automake was sent to this mailing list[1], but
> Automake
> 1.11.2 doesn't yet mention lzip anywhere.

Do you care to backport that patch to the `maint' branch of automake?  That way,
it will be possible to add support for lzip to the next maintenance release
1.11.3
(which I bet will be released before 1.12).

> By contrast xz support was added when xz was at an early beta stage.
>
> I know dist-lzip support will be present in Automake 1.12, but given the long
> time between Automake releases and the simplicity of the change I hoped to see
> it in this release.  I am beginning to feel like a second-class citizen on
> this.

Honestly, I wasn't aware that lzip support was not already present in maint.
That's
moslty my bad, but you have to partly share the blame here, since I had
released a
beta version *ten days* before the 1.11.2 release -- if you had voiced your
objection
before, we could have lzip support in 1.11.2 now.

Anyway, no use in crying overt spilt milk; and as I said before, patches
welcome.

Regards,
  Stefano