Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:55:09 +0100

On 02/22/2012 03:57 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob, sorry for the delay.
>>
>> On 02/19/2012 07:55 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>> I am again bit by automake not being able run the test suite on systems
>>> with bounded command line length.  Up to automake 1.11.2 I was able to
>>> apply a patch by Ralf Wildenhues.
>>>
>> Which patch are you referring to exactly?
>
> This one:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2010-09/msg00068.html

I don't understand how that patch could actually work ...  If there are
too many tests in $(TESTS), there will be too many logs in $(TEST_LOGS),
and since the recipe for $(TEST_SUITE_LOG) contents the expansion of
$(TEST_LOGS), the command line length limit for "/bin/sh -c" will be
exceeded anyway ...

In fact, it was Ralf who explained that to me, when I tried to "resurrect"
its proposed patch (which he had already reverted for an unrelated
regression); see my proposal:
  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7868#14>
and Ralf's explanation for why this couldn't work:
  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7868#17>

>>> With 1.11.3 the implementation is totally different and the patch
>>> has no hope of applying.

I can rework it for the code in Automake 1.12 (soonish to appear) if you
are still interested in it after having read the rationale above.

>> How does this later patch of mine fares?
>>
>>  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7868#31>
>
> I will check when I have time.
>
>> Caveat: it works for GNU make only, and it's *really ugly*.
>> So ugly that I don't feel like applying it to automake proper.
>
> A GNU make dependency would be a real problem.  A dependency on a
> properly-working standard make would not be such a problem.

Is the test suite actually failing due to "exceeded command line length"
on any system different from Cygwin or MinGW?  If not, I don't see how a
GNU make dependency would be a problem (if not for the fact that it
uglifies the already hideous patch even more).

>> "Again" is not the correct word here -- automake, either patched or not,
>> has *never* been able to run arbitrarily large test suites.  Still, recent
>> changes might have unintentionally reduced the maximal "testsuite size"
>> automake is able to handle, and we'd want to fix that.  How "big" is the
>> testsuite you are referring to concretely?
>
> I have not run into any problems when using Ralf's patch, but it apparently
> does not address all issues so Ralf backed it out.

In fact, it fundamentally fails to address the issues -- that's why Ralf
backed it out.

> My test suite is pretty slim at the moment.  About 610 tests (used to be
> about 1200) which expand to a list of tests of at least 17903 bytes when
> builddir == srcdir, or 36813 bytes with one of my typical build
> configurations with builddir != srcdir.

Are you referring to the GraphicsMagick testsuite?  If yes, it seems to me
that it could benefit greatly from the use of TAP once automake 1.12 is out;
for example, all the 314 'tests/rwfile*.sh' tests could be rewritten as one
single TAP test (and similarly for many other auto-generated tests), thus
removing the need for a huge number of files without reducing granularity
of the results.

HTH,
  Stefano