Re: Wait, isn't rpath supposed to be set automagically?

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: Wait, isn't rpath supposed to be set automagically?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 22:58:18 +0700

Hi Miles,

On 2/26/12 9:47 PM, Miles Bader wrote:
But ... it doesn't seem to.  Is something broken, is there an option I
should set... or?

On which system do you experience this? I've seen this problem on Fedora and the problem was that the linker search path and the dynamic loader search path were different. IIUC libtool sets -rpath if a used library is outside linker path.

The solution for me was to include '/usr/local/lib' in '/etc/ld.so.conf' as suggested here http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html.

One could argue that Libtool is broken here as it uses an inaccurate mechanism to decide whether -rpath should be set, but I've seen Libtool maintainers saying that this only happens on severely broken systems (on which linker search path and dynamic loader search path).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Peter