Re: dealing with executable shell scripts

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: dealing with executable shell scripts
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:13:14 -1000

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> That's going to distribute "aaa", though, right, not the actual
>>> "source" e.g. aaa.sh?
>>
>> Yes.  There's an earlier email in this thread from somebody
>> illustrating that you don't need to morph from source to script if the
>> file doesn't actually get changed.
>
> Is there a way to ensure that the raw "aaa" is executable in the
> source directory (I'd like everything to be usable whether installed
> or not).

make dist should preserve whatever permissions are there in your
sources.  Your version control software should be able to preserve
permissions, too.  For instance, for svn, you can set the svn:execute
property.  When installing, $INSTALL will automatically set the
permissions accordingly for the SCRIPTS primary.

Here's a better question.  How do you insure that your current file is
executable?  Do it the same way.