Re: Autoconf caches AC_INIT arguments

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Autoconf caches AC_INIT arguments
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:58:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 23 May 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Hi Bob.

On 05/23/2012 02:17 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
The forthcoming Automake release is about to break the means I have been
using to automatically version my package (without manually editing
configure.ac) for the past 9 years.

I smell a misunderstanding here: Automake 1.12.1 will only start *warning*
about such an usage, but will still work with it (there are checks in the
Automake test suite that should verify this is indeed the case).  The actual
removal of support for that usage will only take place in Automake 1.13, which
I don't see appearing if not several several months from now (i.e,, until
there is some major feature or non trivial bug-fix that justifies a new major
release).

That is good to know.  Then it is not an emergency for me.

This issue feels like an Autoconf bug to me since AC_INIT is presumably an Autoconf macro, but it includes overtones of an Automake weakness since the procedure I used is clearly documented in the Automake manual and the 'missing' script is being used to invoke autoconf under Automake control.

Testing this morning showed that '../missing autoconf --force' does cause the configure script to be updated. I did not have time to figure out how to extend the AUTOCONF definition (of the form '../missing autoconf') that configure is creating (and caching). Since config.status --recheck was previously re-run anyway, using --force only adds a couple of extra seconds to the re-configuration process.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn