Re: [Automake] How to get debug symbols in the executable?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: [Automake] How to get debug symbols in the executable?
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 17:17:01 -0400

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Marcelo Zimbres <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some trouble to debug programs built from autotools. I am
> following the steps:
>
> $ ./configure CXXFLAGS="-g -O0"
> $ make
> $ libtool --mode=execute gdb --arg ./swat_find arg_list
>
> When I run the last line, I get the error message:
>
> Reading symbols from
> /home/marcelo/Public/swat/debug/.libs/lt-swat_find...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done.
>
> Why there are no symbols? The output of make shows the flags have been
> passed to gcc, for example:
>
> libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include/root
> -I/usr/local/include/root -I -I -g -O0 -MT libswat_la-TDKernel.lo -MD -MP
> -MF .deps/libswat_la-TDKernel.Tpo -c ../TDKernel.cxx -o
> libswat_la-TDKernel.o >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> I couldn't also find the -s option which would discard the symbols. Can
> someone help me?
A couple of thoughts....

(1) -g3 -ggdb will likely give you the most debugging information. For
example, at -g3 symbolic constants are available (ie, #define FOOBAR
3). I don't think -ggdb gets you anything special, but it might in the
future.

(2) What is your link command? Was -S or --strip-debug used?

(3) Did you happen to run strip after the binary was output?

Jeff