Re: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:44:48 +0100

On 01/29/2013 08:09 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> () Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden>
> () Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:48:59 +0100
>
>    So I propose the following change in the Automake versioning scheme:
>    [...]
>
> Sounds good.  Going further, you could maybe define notation (described
> in HACKING) for categories of changes (backward-{in}compatible, etc)

Fully agreed; and abridged version of this proposal is to land in HACKING
soon(ish).

> and methodically use them in the ChangeLog entries.

This would be overkill IMVHO.

> This would be both informative to the user, and helpful to prevent
> mistakes (by casual contributors :-D).
>
>    I also propose the following change to the branching scheme currently
>    implemented in the Automake Git repository:
>    [...]
>
> These details should also be explained in HACKING.

Again, +1

>    to publicize the new versioning scheme
>
>      - ??? (suggestions welcome)
>
> Maybe cut a release that changes only the version number?
>
> Personally I would find that to be not particularly useful, but others might
> welcome the explicitness.

Sounds overkill, and some people might even be annoyed by this ("you made
me upgrade my installation only to bump the version number ?!?").  I'd
rather avoid that.

Let's hope a clear NEWS entry in 1.13.2 will be enough to catch the eyes
of enough people.

Thanks,
  Stefano