Re: Create system wide config.{guess,sub} scripts

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: Create system wide config.{guess,sub} scripts
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 11:32:27 +0100

+++ Pavel Raiskup [2013-04-05 11:15 +0200]:
> (cc-ing automake mailing list)
>
> Hi all, do you think that there would be possible to cover upstream
> creation of system wide config.{sub,guess} scripts?  Possible patch
> is at the bottom of this mail.

This was recenly discussed (oct 2012) on this list. Just checking that
you are aware of that thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.general/14739/match=rfc+getting+rid+config+guess+sub+problem
and 2nd iteration:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.general/14755/match=rfc+getting+rid+config+guess+sub+problem

> Nothing would change from the target-project point of view - just that if
> the user's distribution distributes these sys-wide scripts, they are going
> to be called instead of the ones distributed by `make dist`-created
> tarball

I am absolutely in favour of this problem being solved, having just
been through a new port process with hundreds of tiresome
config.{sub,guess} patches being a sizeable chunk of the needed patches.

I haven't had a chance to compare your suggestion's with those in the
above thread yet (important meeting shortly). Will look later.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/