tests using multiple processes

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: tests using multiple processes
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:13:54 +1000

Hi automakers.

I have a test-suite (with automake parallel) in which some of the test cases run multithreaded applications and therefore use eg four CPUs. In order to avoid total overload I currently reduce number of jobs e.g. 'make -j2' rather than 'make -j8', which is sort of waste because it means that for part of test the load is only 25%. Is there a way/trick anyone has come up with to tell Make that "OK this test should allocate 4 jobs, while these jobs only need one job each".

Cheers,
Peter