Re: excluding intermediate flex test suite files from distribution?

From: Will Estes
Subject: Re: excluding intermediate flex test suite files from distribution?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:54:03 -0500

On Friday, 13 November 2015, 11:43 am -0500, Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

> This will probably work fine, but this has the potential problem that
> test.c will be built every time you run 'make dist', just to be deleted
> immediately.  This may or may not be a concern for you, but the likely
> consequence is that lex will be required to run 'make dist', even though
> it would otherwise not be required.
>
> My original suggestion was to try something like this (not tested):

It is unfortunate, yes, but since automake already pulls in a requirement to
have a lex on the build system, I can live with the slow down / extra disk I/O.

>   EXTRA_DIST =
>
>   nodist_test_SOURCES = test.l
>   EXTRA_DIST += $(nodist_test_SOURCES)

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't tested this, but the dist-hook approach
works beautifully, given that I'm ok with the build and then delete that
happens.

--
Will Estes
address@hidden