Re: Warning - non-POSIX variable name

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Warning - non-POSIX variable name
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 10:00:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017, Warren Young wrote:

On Aug 7, 2017, at 11:39 PM, Dharmil Shah <address@hidden> wrote:

I followed your suggestions and hence I am able to compile my package using
the llvm compiler.

I hope you chose option 3.

On re-reading that email, I think option 2 is wrong, or at least, it isn’t what
I meant to write:

   $ ./configure CC=../../llvm-arm-toolchain-ship/3.8/bin/clang

The main problem with option 2 is that it requires you to give that long
command on each manual re-configure.  It’s better to code the clang-seeking
rules into an autoconf macro, if only because you will eventually move on to
Clang 3.9+.

Passing a relative path to CC seems error prone since it only applies to the current working directory and will fail as soon as any Makefile recurses.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn